Dividing Pounds and Ounces
How to divide pounds and ounces
- Convert pounds and ounces to ounces by multiplying pounds by 16 and adding the number of ounces
- Perform the required division to determine the number of ounces.
- Convert the ounces to pounds and ounces by dividing by 16.
- The quotient is the number of pounds and the remainder is the number of ounces.
Example: Divide 10 pounds 0 ounces by 4
- Convert 10 pounds to ounces by multiplying 10 by 16:
16 * 10 = 160 ounces
- Add the number of extra ounces:
160 + 0 = 160 ounces
- Perform the required division:
160 ÷ 4 = 40 ounces
- Convert to pounds and ounces by dividing by 16:
40 ÷ 16 = 2 R 8
- The quotient (2) is the number of pounds and the remainder (8) is the number of ounces.
- Answer: 2 pounds 8 ounces