Multiplying Pounds and Ounces
How to multiply pounds and ounces
- Convert pounds and ounces to ounces by multiplying pounds by 16 and adding the number of ounces
- Perform the required multiplication to determine the number of ounces.
- Convert the ounces to pounds and ounces by dividing by 16.
- The quotient is the number of pounds and the remainder is the number of ounces.
Example: Multiply 5 pounds 6 ounces times 4
- Convert 5 pounds to ounces by multiplying 16 by 5:
16 * 5 = 80 ounces
- Add the number of extra ounces:
80 + 6 = 86 ounces
- Perform the required multiplication:
86 * 4 = 344 ounces
- Convert to pounds and ounces by dividing by 16:
344 ÷ 16 = 21 R 8
- The quotient (21) is the number of pounds and the remainder (8) is the number of ounces.
- Answer: 21 pounds 8 ounces