The metric system has prefix modifiers that are multiples of 10.
- A kiloliter is 1000 liters
- A hectoliter is 100 liters
- A decaliter is 10 liters
- A liter is the basic unit of volume
- A deciliter is 1/10 liter
- A centiliter is 1/100 liter
- A milliliter is 1/1000 liter
As we move down the units, the next unit is one tenth as large. As we move upward,
each unit is 10 times as large. One hundred milliliters, which is 1/10 liter (100/1000=1/10)
are larger than one centiliter (1/100th liter).