How to subtract hours and minutes.
- If the number of minutes being subtracted is more than the original minutes, do the following:
- Subtract 1 from the original number of hours.
- Increase the number of original minutes by 60.
- Subtract the minutes.
- Subtract the hours.
Example: What is 4 hours 11 minutes minus 2 hours 47 minutes.
- The original number of minutes (11) is less than the 47 minutes being subtracted so:
- Subtract 1 from the original number of hours. (4 hours - 1 hour = 3 hours)
- Increase the number of minutes by 60. (11 minutes + 60 minutes = 71 minutes)
- Subtract the minutes. (71 minutes - 47 minutes = 24 minutes)
- Subtract the hours. (3 hours - 2 hours = 1 hour)
- Answer: 1 hour 24 minutes