Adding Dollars, Dimes and Pennies
A penny is worth 1 cent, a dime is worth 10 cents and a dollar is worth 100 cents.
How to add dollars, dimes and pennies.
- Count by hundreds the number of dollars to find the number of cents the dollars are worth
- Starting at this total, count up by tens for the number of dimes.
- Count the number of pennies by ones starting at the previous total.
Example: How many cents are 7 dollars, 4 dimes and 3 pennies worth?
- Count by hundreds seven times for the seven dollars 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700
- Count by tens for the 4 dimes: 710, 720, 730, 740
- Count by ones for the 3 pennies: 741, 742, 743
- Answer: 7 dollars, 4 dimes and 3 pennies are worth 743¢
- 743¢ is the same as $7.43 since there are 100 cents per dollar