Fractions may have numerators and denominators that are composite numbers
(numbers that has more factors than 1 and itself).
How to simplify a fraction:
- Find a common factor of the numerator and denominator. A common factor is
a number that will divide into both numbers evenly. Two is a common factor of 4 and 14.
- Divide both the numerator and denominator by the common factor.
- Repeat this process until there are no more common factors.
- The fraction is simplified when no more common factors exist.
Another method to simplify a fraction
- Find the Greatest Common Factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator
- Divide the numerator and the denominator by the GCF