- Rounding makes numbers that are easier to work with in your head.
- Rounded numbers are only approximate.
- An exact answer generally can not be obtained using rounded numbers.
- Use rounding to get a answer that is close but that does not have to be exact.
How to round numbers
- Make the numbers that end in 1 through 4 into the next lower number that ends in 0.
For example 74 rounded to the nearest ten would be 70.
- Numbers that end in a digit of 5 or more should be rounded up to the next even ten.
The number 88 rounded to the nearest ten would be 90.